Sunday, September 2, 2012

Talking Point #1 (Rowe-Finkbeiner)

The F- Word : Feminism In Jeopardy Women, Politics, and the Future
Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner


    A Tsunami In History made me think of my mother and the countless pieces of jewelry she gave me as a child. I regret losing a few bracelets, rings, and ear rings that she gave me now I see the importance of gifts but as a child I wanted to wear the jewelry to show off. I really wanted to call my mother and ask her to recite the story behind every ring and bracelet she gave me. I wanted to learn the history of each piece maybe she got it from my father, maybe she bought it, maybe it was given to her by her mother and it was time to pass it along to her child. But each story was not as exciting as the story told by Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner. This reading really made me want to start a tradition of my own so that my children and their children can talk about how I made a difference something that could be proud to retell the story. 
   
After re-reading the Rowe-Finkbeiner article after fourteen weeks of class I have a better understanding of the context. The F word other wise know as feminism is in jeopardy to women because of the backlash associated with the word. Women are afraid to be called " The f-word" fearing that they will become unattractive to men or even worse be labeled as lesbian.Feminism is in jeopardy in politics because their are not enough women. We need more women to help make decisions for the sake of women. Women are not as active as they were in the first two waves ,  since politics are dominated by men the consequences of going against societal norms is much to fearful to women. Future feminist should fear feminism with open arms while challenging culture, institutions, behaviors. Feminism is bold, empowering, political, battle that improve thyself as well as relationships, it's complex, intelligence and humor. In the words of Lisa M Hogeland " Of Course young women are afraid of feminism-shouldn't they be? "
  





No comments:

Post a Comment